Radioddity GM-30

Topics about GMRS Equipment: Radios, Repeaters, Antennas, and more. Reviews, Questions, Release News, etc.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Radioddity GM-30

Post by Admin »

Just ordered a Radioddity GM-30 from Amazon. Supposed to be here tomorrow, I will let you all know what I think of it. Not a lot of GMRS activity around me, but I'll give it my best shot. Stay tuned.

https://amzn.to/3cUJe27
:ugeek: GMRS Forum Admin | Chris | WROV940 | K5HRA
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Radioddity GM-30

Post by Admin »

Got it in fairly late last night, opened it up this morning. Like I said, not a lot of activity where I am, but I have it scanning, and I did pick up what sounded like a repeater CW ident, so I'll have to watch closer if it comes up again to see what it stopped on.

Out of the box its pretty much turn-on and go. Compared to my V-1 its not quite as easy to use, but as a ham I was used to the Baofeng menus from my UV-5R, so... I did have to tweak a couple of settings, turn off key beeps and voice prompts, etc.

It does have an easy to access FM broadcast band button, and that band can be switched between the US and (I'm assumning) Chinese band. And it does NOAA scan at the push of a button, too.

One thing I notice right away is the volume goes from silent to fairly loud right away, not a lot of inbetween.

https://amzn.to/3cUJe27 (yes thats an aff. link)
IMG_3408.jpeg
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

OK, so it looks like maybe attachments are fixed, but it didn't add all of them. sooo.... here we go again.
IMG_3409.jpeg
IMG_3410.jpeg
IMG_3413.jpeg
IMG_3414.jpeg
IMG_3415.jpeg
IMG_3416.jpeg
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

My first comparison to my Baofeng V1 isn't really all that conclusive, as there just isn't any traffic near me. It's slightly more sensitive, as it "broke squelch" more than the V1, but I never really heard anyone, except for that same random repeater ID, but I never could grab the thing quick enough during the scan to see which channel/repeater it was on. :roll:

Gonna keep playing with it, but so far I like it. Not really any worse than the V1.